Underground General Manager
Location: Yerington, Nevada
Reporting to the COO or VP Operations, the role will lead, plan, organize and control the construction of the underground mine from initial pre-construction period through to full production, managing company and contract resources to ensure delivery of the project to meet expectations in regard to safety, environment, quality, project schedule, costs and production.
- Provide leadership and management of the site underground construction and operations, ensuring site operates safely and productively.
- Management of the mining contractor(s) in the construction and operations work, including managing technical and support consultants.
- Effective contract management of the underground mine construction, meeting time, quality and cost objectives.
- Assist Nevada Copper Senior Management in the review and update of periodic business reviews, including annual capital and operating cost budgets for the mine consistent with the Company's requirements.
- Develop and execute short and intermediate term strategies that support the successful construction and ramp up to production of the operation.
- Ensure that opportunities to add value and increase stakeholder wealth are identified and implemented
- Create a working environment which ensures that employees gain new skills and achieve their full potential by developing and Implementing effective training and mentoring programs.
- Ensure appropriate facilities, procedures and workforce competence to achieve legal compliance, incident prevention and the achievement of tasks in a healthy, safe and environmentally sustainable manner
- Optimize operational assets and resources through continuous improvement.
- Drive timely adoption of mine technology, remote control and innovation at the site for efficiency and effectiveness as it plans to move from Contract to Owner operation after ramp-up of production.
- Working with the site’s leadership team to develop (and implement) a plan of transition over time to an Owner operation in technical and support disciplines.
- Constructively influence others, managing cross-functional relationships at all levels and inspire / lead improvement.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in mining engineering or similar qualification;
- Minimum of 15 years in comparative scale of mining operations, the majority of which must be underground hard rock.
- Extensive experience in underground hard rock mining operation, with stoping with backfill mining method.
- Ideally hold a Peng or PE certificate
- Valid work permit for USA
- Strong computer skills (i.e. MS Office including Excel, Word and PowerPoint).
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated commitment to safe working practices;
- Ability to effectively delegate while maintaining forward motion on key deliverables;
- Business acumen and sound business operating experience
- Adaptability to work effectively in a context of change, manage conflicting demands, and adapt to a variety of situations and individuals.
- Proven team player skills with ability to build and maintain internal and external relationships;
- Effective interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate and interact effectively at all levels of the organization
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Strong mentoring, training and coaching to junior colleagues.