Laboratory Sample Prep Technician is an entry level position responsible for preparing samples, filling sample bags, tying them off and loading them on pallets; other duties may include drying, crushing, splitting, and pulverizing for fire assaying; will operate laboratory equipment (small crusher, pulverizer, balances, pH meters) and maintain daily records and logs.
The Sample Tech may also be utilized in fire assay, wet laboratory, and operation of analytical instrumentation. Analyses will include wet analyses, instrumentation including Graphite Furnace, Atomic Absorption, Carbon and Sulfur, XRF analysis. Various levels of computer use included and other duties as assigned.
Basic Job Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Utilizing designed sampling methods which are most appropriate to obtain a sample that is representative of the original sample or blast hole
- Maintaining a clean work area
- Metallurgical/ Environmental test work include inventory of samples/supplies, sample prepping, organizing, and shoveling rock. Qualifications &
Physical Demands include, but are not limited to the following:
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred
- Employee must be able to follow specific directions, work in a safe manner, perform simple mathematical calculations, and keep records
- Ability to work with others in a team environment
- Must have attention to detail and ability to communicate clearly ( orally and written) data and results of test work.
- Must pass Respiratory Evaluation and Fit test and be able to perform physical labor- bending, lifting (50 lbs), climbing, walking, etc.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screen and criminal background check
- A proven attitude towards safety regulations and goals
- Employee is required to crawl, kneel, bend, and reach with hands and arms above their shoulders
- Must be able to lift and carry repetitively up to 75-lbs
- Ability to safely perform work using chemicals and extreme heat
- Physically capable of repetitive movements like standing, shoveling and performing other types of physical work for extended periods of time.