EP Minerals, a U.S. Silica company, mines, processes and markets quality diatomite, perlite and clay products. We are one of the top producers and distributors of diatomaceous earth and Bentonite clay worldwide. Our products are used as filter aids, absorbents, functional additives and soil amendments. EP Minerals products are used in a wide array of applications including food & beverage, swimming pool, biofuel, landscape, sports turf, insecticides, energy, paints, plastics, automotive, and many others. EP Minerals also produces patented water purification media and arsenic removal products. Our business is global and we ship direct to nearly 100 countries worldwide. Our substantial ore reserves, multiple manufacturing sites, rich new product pipeline and global distribution network position us for continuous growth well into the future.
EP Minerals is owned by U.S. Silica, a leading producer of commercial silica used in the oil and gas industry, and in a wide range of industrial applications. Over its 118-year history, U.S. Silica has developed core competencies in mining, processing, logistics and materials science that enable it to produce and cost-effectively deliver over 200 products to customers across our end markets. The Company currently operates nine industrial sand production plants and eight oil and gas sand production plants. The Company is headquartered in Frederick, MD. and also has offices located in Chicago, Ill. and Houston, Texas.
This position is based out of Reno, NV
The purpose of this role is to provide strategic guidance and lead the strategic execution for the Strategic Business Unit (SBU); in this case the Clark, Fernley and Middleton assets, products, capacity, product mix, reserves and markets. The position incorporates new product commercialization and business development, with the strategic planning of operations/mining/supply chain, to ensure a cohesive strategy to optimize profitability for the SBU. This position is focused on the medium to long term strategy for the SBU.
- Review reserves of ores required for existing and planned new products. Make recommendations concerning exploration for specific ores when appropriate.
- Diatomaceous Earth and Calcium Bentonite clay.
- Review capacity of operations within SBU by product and:
- Identify products where we have spare capacity and make recommendations to shift resources to take advantage of the excess capacity and take leadership in the business development activities.
- Make multiple year forecasts of capacity required by product and production line and make recommendations for engineering capacity studies to be undertaken where appropriate.
- Participate in, and provide commercial guidance to teams undertaking capacity studies.
- Identify new product or market opportunities for products produced within the SBU and lead the market research and commercialization activities for these opportunities.
- Oversee new product trials conducted at plant sites to ensure new products meet requirements and plant conditions are correct to achieve desired results.
- Lead the commercial aspects related to the evaluation of new mines and plants or major plant expansions for assets that would be in the SBU.
- Complete monthly reviews of the financial statements of the SBU and make recommendations to improve SBU profitability.
- Conduct technical and business market research in assigned markets.
- Serve as an in-house expert for aggregates and natural powder applications in relevant markets.
- Absorbents, animal feed, carriers, catalysts, coatings, construction, horticulture, insecticide, oil and gas, pet litter, soil amendments, etc.
- Work side-by-side with Research & Development to provide market and applications technology guidance.
- Utilizing subject matter expertise, identify new market and application opportunities.
- Responsible for the development of relationships with process science, engineering and manufacturing personnel within target markets.
- The identification of commercial applications for directly competitive products and for the evaluation of our products where drop-in substitution is possible.
- Taking a leadership role in defining and organizing related product attributes, such as the quality control requirements, batch records, regulatory support requirements, packaging and related areas.
- Develop a sales plan and budget.
- Identify, develop and drive EP’s sales growth in assigned markets.
- Closing new business, as well as running technical trials in the assigned markets globally.
- Identify possible acquisition targets that strengthen EP’s offering to the market.
- Develop training, if necessary, for internal and external audiences, on existing and new markets.
- Manage pricing in specific market areas.
- Develop sales tools and industry papers to promote the use of our products.
- Partner with research institutions and universities; present papers to major trade associations.
Education / Certifications:
- Technical Degree in Engineering, Chemistry or equivalent
- MBA preferred
- Excellent organizational skills and follow-through
- Competence with standard business software, such as PowerPoint, Word, Excel, etc.
- Strong communication skills, including excellent written and verbal presentation
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and strong creative problem-solving capabilities
- Demonstrated ability to investigate new markets, to develop relationships with key technical staff at target customers, and to make customer calls to listen and to gain information (rather than to sell).
- An ability to evolve and grow as the business evolves from development to commercialization.
- The desire and ability to assume positions of greater responsibility within the organization over time.
- The ability to work with a high degree of autonomy.
- The ability to think strategically, to see and take advantage of new and emerging market trends.
- Detail oriented and the ability to multi-task.
- Domestic and international travel required.
We are proud to offer our employees:
- Medical (PPO w/FSA, HDHP w/HSA), Dental, Vision Insurance
- Basic Life Coverage
- Supplemental Life Coverage
- Disability Coverage
- Employee Assistance Program
- Voluntary Group Critical Illness Insurance
- Voluntary Group Accident Insurance
- Voluntary Group Disability Insurance
- Paid sick and vacation
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Paid Holidays
- 401(k) Retirement Program
For immediate consideration, please submit your resume with salary history and requirements.
EP Minerals supports a drug free culture. Successful candidates must pass a post offer background and drug screen.